Kentucky has the Third Highest Drug Overdose Mortality Rate in the United States (Prescription Drug Abuse: Strategies to Stop the Epidemic.)
Kentucky Overdose Deaths (KY Office of Drug Control Policy):
- Overdose deaths as of July 2014: 1007
- Jefferson County had the most overdose deaths of any county with 191.
- Autopsied overdosed deaths attributed to heroin increased: 230, or 31.9%. in 2013, compared to 143, 19.6% in 2012 (A 12% increase).
- According to the KY. Medical Examiners Office, in 2013, here are the most detected substances present during autopsy:
- Alprazolam: 34.76 %—Benzodiazepine
- Monoacetylmorphine (heroin): 32%—OPIATE
- Hydrocodone: 24.79%—OPIATE
- Oxycodone: 19.94%—OPIATE